Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The One You Want (The Original Heartbreakers, #0.5)

The One You Want (The Original Heartbreakers, #0.5)The One You Want by Gena Showalter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am a huge fan of Gena Showalter, I just love the Alien Huntress Series, Lords of the Underworld, Otherworld Assassins, Animal Instincts is my all time fav. This being said no wonder I picked up this new romance of hers.

Small towns have a way of embracing you and scorning you. This can totally be said for Kenna. I would say that she made a huge mistake but I feel your lifes path is destine regardless. At 16 Kenna started on her turbulent path, after a night of partying she ended up with child. Raising a child alone is a heavy burden now add a town full of gossipers and your load only seems to get heavier. Having a child with a nameless father isn't her only trouble, it seems she can never grow out of the adulteress shadow of her mother. Like I said Small Town.

Kenna and Dane both innocent kids finding solace in one another while their parents were getting busy. Fast forward several years and the lovebirds are getting married. This is how Kenna and Dane reconnect and try to save each other from settling into the roles others have carved out for them.

What I love most about Gena Showalter's writing isn't just the panty dropping action, she really knows how to put her heroines in life shattering situation. Not only do they step up to their challenges they prosper as well. Isn't that what we all try to accomplish?

Did you hear about the rose that grew from a crack in the concrete? Proving nature's laws wrong, it learned to walk without having feet. Funny, it seems to by keeping it's dreams; it learned to breathe fresh air. Long live the rose that grew from concrete when no one else even cared.”
― Tupac Shakur, The Rose That Grew from Concrete

The supporting characters had a southern flare and I anticipate the books to come. I enjoy the gritty realism that fertilizes their growth. The book's plot has a very real feel, it could be a place you live and that could be your friend. I alway applaud the underdog especially when they don't harbor bitterness but instead flourish and things workout not only because they make it so but because they believe the best IS yet to come.

I received this ARC so an Honest review.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment