Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Steel and Song (The Aileron Chronicles, #1)

Steel and Song (The Aileron Chronicles, #1)Steel and Song by Ani Bolton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Steel and song had a blend of magic and folklore to it that was very intriguing. The creative thinking that a witch can make a aircraft fly was pretty freaking cool!

Tova has little to no choices in life, use your magic to fly an aileron or go straight to the trenches where her survival rate will be slightly lower than burning out whilst flying. Airwitches are becoming extremely hard to come by during the war. So her journey begins with a misunderstanding in her village that sends her to war. The Vana clan is mostly field sorcerers but she is the only exception. Tova is the odd man out and is dangerously close to going to the trenches when fate steps in and decides if she’s an Airwitch she’ll do. Thrust into flying an aileron with no experience is a care Airship captain Piers Dashkov does not have, if she dies then he’ll find another.

The story really picks up while Tova is under the watchful eye of her crew she struggles with settling in in the military base. On Pier’s crew she non-intentionally makes a difference maybe they realize what a fierce heart she has and this fueled with determination make her valuable to them. That and there is a shortage of Airwitches..

I did enjoy this book I feel like it could have used a glossary, I was lost on a couple terms. I understood that it was about a large war going on and the magic welders were the lower class, a lower class that was preparing for revolution. They were expendable and didn’t realize they actually held all the power. Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the read but I wish I would have had a reference to understand more fully about the class system. The book had a steampunk vibe but also some folklore as well. One thing that stood out for me was Tova love to sing and this was forbidden… I wanted to understand this a little more also what the singing had to do with Tova’s magic. Maybe in the next book.


The book was enjoyable and complicated…lol But given the chance I would read the next~

I received this for an honest review~

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment